Lab Overview We seek to leverage modern genomic and genome-scale functional genetic technologies to dissect the molecular underpinnings and vulnerabilities of cancer. We have an interest in deep mechanistic study of the pathways that underlie cancer initiation, progression, and drug resistance in genitourinary cancers (especially cancers of the prostate and kidney).
Mission Our overarching mission is to make scientific discoveries that accelerate the development of life-extending treatments for patients with cancer, with a focus on those with genitourinary cancers. We aim to elucidate the drivers and vulnerabilities of genitourinary cancers by integrating genomic profiling of primary tissue specimens with functional approaches in in vitro and in vivo systems. We are a highly collaborative research group engaged in joint projects with scientists and clinicians of diverse expertise. In addition to basic and translational research output, we are also deeply committed to mentoring the next generation of physicians and scientists.
Join our Team! Positions available for graduate students (BBS Program) and postdoctoral fellows to join our team. Please click here if you are interested in joining the the lab!
• Goodbye to Aarya, Nivedha, and Stephen, our fantastic summer students!
• Our preprint on the genetic underpinnings of sex bias in tRCC is on bioRxiv. LINK
• Our review on genome-guided cancer target discovery is out in Cell Reports. LINK
• Our paper on XIST activation in male cancers is out in Cell Systems LINK
• Thank you to the Kidney Cancer Association for supporting our lab with a KCA Trailblazer Award!
• eLife Insight article on androgen receptor splicing LINK
• Our work prostate cancer whole genome analysis now published in JCI Insight LINK
• Thank you to the V Foundation for supporting our lab with a V Scholar Award!
• Our work identifying PRMT1 as a vulnerability in prostate cancer is now published in Cell Reports: LINK
• Our work on the genomic landscape of tRCC is now published in Cell Reports: LINK
• New preprint on the landscape of structural variation in prostate cancer.
• Thank you to the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation for supporting our lab's work with a Damon Runyon-Rachleff Innovation Award!
• Congratulations to Shatha on winning a People’s Choice Award for her poster at the 17th Annual Broad Retreat!
• Congratulations to Jiao on being awarded a postdoctoral fellowship from the DoD Kidney Cancer Research Program! LINK
• Congratulations to Jiao on a fellowship from the National Cancer Center. LINK
• New preprint on the genomic landscape of translocation renal cell carcinoma now on bioRxiv
• Congratulations to Shatha on being awarded a postdoctoral fellowship from the DoD Kidney Cancer Research Program! LINK.
• Welcome Vidya; goodbye and good luck to Stephen!
• First preprint from the lab is up on BioRxiv. LINK.
• We're back (at least partially)!
• Shutting down the lab for the COVID pandemic...stay safe everyone!
• We welcome the first members of the lab: Emma, Nebiyou, and Stephen!
• Hello World! The Viswanathan Lab is official!